Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm watching To Catch a Thief, which, now I'm watching it, I realize I've totally seen before. But I really like it. I am not a film nerd but you can't argue with lines like "Germaine has very sensitive hands and an exceedingly light touch. She strangled a German general - without a sound."

Since it's from 1955, it reminds me of the United States of Arugula which I haven't read but which is all about the gourmet-ization of the U.S. I'm just amused because at one point in the movie Cary Grant says "This is a quiche lorraine. Have you heard of it?" Imagine when a quiche lorraine was exotic! Amusing. Does it have something to do simply with the glamorization of Europe in America? After all, Cary Grant is the smooth French resistance fighter, essentially a European with his scarves and his villa, and Grace Kelly's mom is the new money, straight shooter, stumbled into oil in her backyard American type.

Maybe I should have been a film studies major or something, I'm enjoying this too much.

Also, Cary Grant is bright orange. Look:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

emily, you just love old(er) movies. nothing wrong with that. they are simply better than anything hollywood or the indies have put out in the last couple decades. it's true, don't argue.
-orges