Friday, November 17, 2006

I'm sort of intrigued by the idea of eating locally, like this 100-mile diet. I know that I don't have the money (or time or energy) to really do it for everything, but doing it for as many things as possible is good, right? (Plus, the produce is better. Think what this means - farmers' markets and Whole Foods, basically. And I live in California, where everything good is grown.)

Why eat locally, you ask? Well, eating locally is the new organic - since even a lot of organic foods are grown in other countries or wherever and shipped to your grocery store, there is as much harm done to the environment as there would be with the use of pesticides (if not more, thanks to the fossil fuels burned in transportation). This New York Times article talks more about the benefits of eating locally, as does this page on the 100-mile diet site. (Plus, use their handy map to see what's within your 100 mile radius!)

Anyway just a thought. Now if only I could persuade myself to get up before 10am on a Sunday to hit up the farmer's market...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really, really want to check out the Mountain View farmer's market. But I know that sleeping in on Sunday morning will win out every time...when will it get easier to wake up at normal-people hours??
--Kelly