Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Things I am thankful for:
-Not having to work (much more than I already have) this weekend
-The Satanic Verses. It's just getting better
-Stuffing. I freaking love it. Mom makes it with like boxed Mrs. Cubbinson's which I think Cristina would find sort of cutely white (the same way she finds casseroles cutely white, or weirdly white, whichever it is) but it's just SO GOOD.
-Mashed potatoes.
-Garage storage. I wish I had more time while I was home to go through it all for its hilarity
-A small but dedicated blog readership
-But the urban and non-urban families -- truly, I'm very lucky to have these
-Actually, it's too hard to count the myriad things I am thankful for on a daily basis. There is a lot of goodness out there and I subscribe to the Kurt Vonnegut school of thanking whoever it is or whatever it is for any good moment:

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.'" - Kurt Vonnegut

So I guess I'm thankful there are so many things out there to be happy about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At this point, I have plowed through about 1,400+ pages of Rushdie. Amazing work. Although I didn't like The Satanic Verses as much as Midnight's Children, the novels's theme of identity of Asian-Brits is particularly fascinating to someone who is looking at the culture from an outside perspective. (Pablo)

Emily said...

yeah, i wrote a lot about rushdie for my postcolonial lit tutorial. i think i also preferred midnight's children to this one, but that's partly just on a visceral love-of-reading level. thematically you can't really beat him though. i think that might be something i could actually consider studying in the long run, white as i am. :)