Friday, April 25, 2008

An American Wife

I am really not sure how I feel about this.

I love, love, love Curtis Sittenfeld, primarily because of Prep. And Man of My Dreams, while I didn't like it as much, was still pretty damn good. (I think that the Prep vs. Man of My Dreams argument is very similar to the Everything is Illuminated vs. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close argument, in the whole first-novel-is-it-better-or-worse-than-second-novel sense, and I'm on the first novel side in both cases.) She is good at pinning down these very particular feelings, that most of the time you don't bother to describe because it's too ephemeral or too sort of shameful or embarrassing, but that you encounter all the time. But I just don't know how I feel about the premise of this next book. I think it's mostly because I don't really have any interest in Laura Bush; I think she seems boring, and not that smart, and her face always looks the same, and so the idea of reading a book based on her, written in first person, no less, doesn't appeal to me much. But it's Curtis!

I will still, obviously, pre-order it.

No comments: