Saturday, December 08, 2007

Staying In

I am supposed to be out at Bootie tonight... instead, I'm already in bed. Last night's party was pretty ridiculous, as expected, and I really just didn't want to deal with more booze, people, or really anything. So here I am instead.

Dan and I had a kind of nice quiet day. I returned from Palo Alto around three, and then we went on a little field trip to Rainbow Grocery. It's such a San Francisco kind of place, it's sort of like heaven for foodies, as long as you don't expect any meat. Tons of delicious bulk food, cheese, organic what-have-you, produce, more yogurt and kombucha than you would ever know what to do with. We basically just wandered for an hour and bought things we didn't need. I scored some cinnamon and cardamom olives, some wheat berries (so delicious, you have no idea), nettle tea (curiosity), pumpkin ravioli, and -- this is the real victory of the day -- some mozzarella burrata, which is apparently mozzarella with cream in it. Literally its a little soggy ball of mozzarella and when you cut it open it sort of spills out this creamy softer mozzarella and it pretty much is to-die-for good. I had it in Italy but you can't really find it around here. But Rainbow's cheese section came through for me, so Dan and I had an appetizer of burrata, rosemary potato bread with rosemary butter (Dan's doing), and basil prior to a dinner of ravioli stuffed with goat cheese and pear, in a red pepper sauce. YUM.

Now I suppose I'm about to watch some long-neglected Buffy the Vampire Slayer. First:

Our new spice tins, some grapefruits from Rainbow, and home grown broccoli! It sadly grew flowers before we could eat it, but there are a few more broccolis starting to grow on the plant, and this one is pretty to look at. Plus, we've munched on it a bit and it's pretty tasty.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Emily, I am so jealous of your food experience. That sounds so amazing. I want to copy it all. Yum yum yummmmm!