Monday, December 24, 2007

Once

Finally, after months of wanting to (when it came out I had about one friend in the city, and it was my roommate, and he kept saying he wanted to save it for a date, the bastard), I watched "Once" just now. I am actually glad I waited to watch it by myself (in the dark, on a laptop, after everyone else was asleep, which is actually my preferred way to watch most things these days). I'm not really sure what to say about it, really, just that it was pretty devastating. Some people told me it made them feel good about love. I don't know if it made me feel good or bad. I think it would depend on my mood, which right now is sort of in a purgatory of neutrality, and also my willingness to base my opinion on my learned English major rationale versus on my incurable overemotion. (The same mood/willingness is what makes me so fickle on the Laurie/Professor Bhaer debate that I've written about before.) I know for sure that the music will be stuck in my head for days (I had sort of resisted listening to the soundtrack until I saw the movie, but now I guess I'll dig it out of my mp3 folders).

I liked that it was just a little, sweet, plain movie, no pretensions. Sort of comforting that way.

No comments: