Thursday, December 13, 2007

Short and sweet

We call this kind of entry "cleaning out all the Mozilla Firefox tabs that have been open too long and are slowing down my browser."

-Alright, I find it ridiculous that The Tales of Beedle the Bard sold for almost $4 million. Actually, that's understandable, because the ridiculous thing is that JK Rowling has this crazy franchise with millions of fans and she handwrote only 6 books of an apocryphal nature that none of her fans will ever see, unless it's somehow scanned and uploaded to a torrent site somewhere (God willing), and will just resent her for. Yes, I know it's for charity. But you took Harry Potter away and then spent all your time giving us useless information about Dumbledore's sexual orientation, and then hand wrote only 6 copies of another Harry Potter related book for your special favorite fans, and left the rest of us feeling grumpy and deprived.

-I somehow came into ownership of a One Laptop Per Child, and Dan and Ace and I have been playing with it a bit (ok, more Dan and Ace than me). The OLPC is a pretty inspiring project, even if I don't understand the laptop at all (I actually think I'm too old for it). But it's a great design, it's got a ton of functions, and it's pretty amazing to think of kids in impoverished countries getting these laptops to play with and learn on. You can read more about it here on the OLPC wiki, and there are a few pictures of kids in Uruguay with the laptop here. And of course you can get one give one here. (Related: Google is partnering with OLPC and Unicef to get stories from around the world, in particular from kids using the OLPC.)

-This is the best Christmas movie ever. Screw you, A Christmas Story.

-I'm becoming sadder and sadder I didn't go see Daft Punk in July with Dan and Justin.



-It's wrong that I want this cape, right? But only a little wrong that I want these shoes?

-This Saturday I think I'm going to have a life changing experience. I will report back afterwards... but I want to keep it a bit of a surprise for now.

-Thinking about this. Don't you think it would be good for me?

-Wondering if I fit into any of these categories:

Some researchers divide perfectionists into three types, based on answers to standardized questionnaires: Self-oriented strivers who struggle to live up to their high standards and appear to be at risk of self-critical depression; outwardly focused zealots who expect perfection from others, often ruining relationships; and those desperate to live up to an ideal they’re convinced others expect of them, a risk factor for suicidal thinking and eating disorders.

I know I'm not the second, and I am pretty sure I'm not the third. But lately I am feeling like I'm not living up to my own expectations. Guess I should figure that out. It's times like these I really realize how much of a product of American culture I am.

-I love all of these little figurines... I can't help it. I really want a credenza in a big house where I can put all these little whimsies out, at different times of year. I think I like "Lucky" the best.

-I feel obligated to post about this, for some reason... my ex boyfriend got the Marshall scholarship. I know he really cared about it, so that's good. And I won't say anything more than that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are a number of things in this post on which I want to comment, but I don't have the time, so I'll keep it short and sweet, too. I can't believe you just threw the word "apocryphal" in there, just like that. Makes me wanna make out with you...
-o

Kim said...

I love this post because I so often post list-filled-posts for this very reason!

I love those little figurines, too, and I SO want them to adorn my desk, or the fireplace mantle I don't have.

Also, I own The Christmas Toy. We should watch it together.

el super said...

oh my god i'm an outwardly focused zealot!! this is why all my relationships fail!!!!!!!

Ok anyways i can't believe you had teh opportunity to go to the pyramid laser show and you didn't! emily, i live near nothing as awesome as a daft punk concert. were was this concert? hey ps, i want to go to coachella next year. i am 25 and have never been. I think it's time, wouldn't you say. so what i'm saying is...ROADTRIP!

how do you know the word credenza? I had never heard it until bobby used it to describe the space that might store lots of random things in cathy's faching. ie: snow globes and souvenir spoons, that shot glass from our trip to cancun.

Emily said...

cri: i actually didn't have the opportunity to go. there was one at the greek theatre in berkeley and dan and justin went, but i didn't pay attention or get tickets and now i regret it.

as for coachella: yes! i was talking to justin and i think he wants to go again too. and i want to go this year since i haven't been since 2004.

as for the word credenza: design blogs.

Anonymous said...

As the offspring of two parents formerly employed by a certain one-time giant of the office furniture industry, you probably have had "credenza" squirreled away in your memory banks for a long time. When I hear that word, it reminds me of my mom (another former employee of that self-same company--now reduced to manufacturing in Mexico).