Friday, January 26, 2007

This was a sweet article about E.B. White earlier this week in the New York Times. I actually felt a little tiny stinging in my eyes reading it. I think it's because of the part in the Sara Nelson book where she is reading Charlotte's Web with her son and he says she is like Charlotte and she is thinking about the part where they say Charlotte was a good friend and a good writer. Damn, I'm tearing up just thinking about that. I feel like I need to reread Charlotte's Web because I keep finding myself getting overemotional about it.

Edit: Found the section from Sara Nelson's book:

"So who was your favorite character, Mom?" Charley asked.

"I think Charlotte," I said.

"That figures," he replied. "She's sort of like you."

I'd hoped he'd say that. I secretly thought of myself as Charlotte, especially when I read White's epitaph for her: "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both." Did my son believe these things about me?

"Yeah? Why do you think so?" I was fishing.

"Well," he said seriously, "she's a girl, but she's still sort of nice. And also, she's really, really bossy."

(From Parenting)

No comments: