Friday, May 12, 2006

It's Editorial day!

I have many short thoughts today, or rather, I want to share other people's short thoughts that I like. That should really be the theme of this blog - short thoughts and occasional rants about subjects I know very little about. Speaking about bloggers who know nothing:

To this day, whenever I hear a reporter say, "I don't do reporting — I just do opinion and analysis," I always think of the reporting basics that Leon pounded into me and want to say, "I doubt that your analysis is very good, because the best analysis always comes from spotting trends that can usually only be spotted by reporting a story day in and day out." I like blogs, but the only bloggers who appeal to me are those who do reporting and aren't just sitting at home in their pajamas firing off digital mortars. - Thomas Friedman

Insert tail between legs here.

Btw, I signed up for TimesSelect for a free trial in order to read: one archived article about Harry Potter by Kaavya Viswanathan, about 20 op-eds by Paul Krugman that Pablo recommended (which I haven't read but which are sitting copied-and-pasted in my inbox for further perusal), and one archived article about Abercrombie and Fitch. I am so cultural. I should really just subscribe to the Sunday Times and get TimesSelect privileges for free (sort of).

No comments: