Monday, May 08, 2006

Guess the plagiarism

I'm not quite smart enough to get all of these references. Comment when you know them:

New Yorker: "How Fred Flintstone Got Home, Got Wild, and Got a Stone Age Life"

Of course I recognized immediately: Lolita, The Great Gatsby, The Raven, A Tale of Two Cities and A Streetcar Named Desire.

Googling, I find: Death of a Salesman, Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Song of the Open Road, Herzog (this reminds me that I need to catch up on my modern classics), Rabbit, Run, Prufrock, The Sun Also Rises, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, John Cheever (Seinfeld: "I'm familiar with some of his work").

Do you recognize these parts?

Stonecutter for the world, toolmaker, stacker of meat, player with reptiles and the nation’s cave dwellers, balmy, gritty, city of big boulders, Bedrock.

I recognize it, but I can't remember right now (allergies are making me loopy).

Edit: This part above is from Carl Sandburg's poem "Chicago." Creative Googling.

or...

“Some fun!” Barney said.
...
“Shut up, Barney,” Flintstone said.

Mom? I feel like this is your territory.

No comments: