Monday, December 04, 2006

Seriously exhausted.

I sat in orientation for most of today and learned a minor amount - mostly because my brain hit overload around 9am, when the whole thing started. I learned that I will be purposefully embarrassed at a company event on Friday (this is called company culture; luckily I don't mind), and I learned how to find my e-mail. And that there is food.

Food is good.

Anyway, I overloaded so fast and didn't even realize it until it was all over - the calm after the storm, I suppose you could say. Then I was whisked away to my new desk and new duties, although it turns out I don't quite have any yet. At the moment, I think I am just supposed to relax and keep my head together and pay attention. I already met more people than I can remember names, and this will only continue as my job picks up and the company expands.

I also learned about the blogging policy, which I tend to stick by, mostly by not writing about the job at all. Someday when I have the energy I'll post on here that the opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, they are mine and mine alone. I mean post somewhere permanent that won't get archived in two days. But for now, that will have to suffice.

I got home around 7:45pm, which was mostly my own choosing and partly a result of the overload which led me to then sit in the relative calm environment of my desk for longer than I needed to, and was promptly productive and then utterly unproductive. Meaning, I emptied two trashcans, set up a few things to do with my work computer (portable, still incomprehensible), and then settled into some hardcore Google Reader catchup. I seriously have about 300 blog entries to read/skim per day, so I did some hardcore skimming. I have whole systems going on here.

I think my job will go well. I think I'm just tech-savvy enough to have an edge in my department, and I am excited to get started and figure things out. There is a lot to take in, though, so at the moment I am kind of content to sit at home and vegetate. I wrote "vegetable," which is perhaps a sign of my wired brain reaching a dangerous point. So, ta ta for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man do I wish I was there for the friday initiation of Emily. I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall. We love you Em