Friday, December 01, 2006

The OC liveblog is yet to come, but in the meantime I'd like to offer up a few observations about the Office last night (inspired by a conversation I'm currently having with Kelly):

You could really tell that last night was written by the Office UK team. Not that the Office isn't awkward enough on it's own, but I could just picture Ricky Gervais donning a doo-rag a la "Prison Mike." That entire scene was straight outta London, if you catch my drift (and how can you not, when I use the worse pop cultural references in the most obvious ways). When Prison Mike called Ryan the "belllllle of da ballll" I pretty much wanted to die, and Ryan did too. Ryan hasn't had a whole lot of moment this season since the episode that where he goes on a sales call with Dwight, but that was more spotlight than he needed.

My favorite moment of the show, though, has to be the moment where Toby talks Michael down and gets him to open the door. It's the only moment in the show that Michael has not hated Toby and I think it was nicely, subtly done. No one made a big deal about it (the Office never makes a big deal about anything), but Toby was gentle with Michael and I thought it was a brilliant scene - exactly the kind of thing I expect from the bestest show on TV.

I could go on, about Jim's chair-swirl-and-raised-eyebrows-look just after Andy asks Pam out, or about Pam's reaction to Andy asking her out or to his banjo playing which pretty much killed me, or about Jim not letting Karen in on the Pam prank, or about Angela telling Dwight "not to encourage him" during the Prison Mike scene (yeah Dwangela), but I won't. It's just too good. I want to watch it again.

No comments: