Thursday, May 31, 2007

I know this is sort of lame and belated and it's not my job to play Time magazine and analyze what is happening to childhood or whatever, but:

Michelle Dale, a second-grade teacher in Brooklyn who works with the youngest of the tweens, said she is “always blown away” by all the things her students know about. “The movies that these little second graders have come in and watched,” she said, “I’m like, ‘Oh, my goodness.’ ”

Second graders are considered tweens? When I was in second grade, I was 6, and then 7. Ignoring the fact that I was young for my year: SEVEN! How exactly is seven years old "tween" anything? I hate everyone.

(From the NYTimes article about little girls reading gossip magazines.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think that because someone, somewhere is so stupid as to say a 6 year old is a tween, she speaks for all teachers. Remember It really doesnt take much to get a degree. There are morons getting them all the time from places like trinity college.
D

Anonymous said...

actually I can see it now. an advertising executive is saying to himself at this very moment,
" hmmm, tweeners, 6 and 7 year olds. What can I sell their parents?" the possibilities are endless.

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia: "Tween may refer to:
Preteen, a child between middle childhood and adolescence, generally in the age range of 8 to 12 years old."
OR "Tween, in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring, a hobbit between the ages of 20 and 32, a period of adolescence for hobbits, who have longer lifespans than humans and aren't considered adults until age 33."--I forgot about that!

Anonymous said...

Though my feeling was always that a tween was a double-digit not yet into the -teens (i.e. 10-12).

I hereby resolve never to use that stupid term.

Anonymous said...

And I agree with "Sophia Ambrosino, 12, of Manhattan, [who] lamented the passing of [Lohan's]red-haired, reproach-free 'Parent Trap' days. Now, she said: 'There are things that she does just to be on the cover of something. I liked her when she was little.'"