Thursday, May 17, 2007

I am doomed. I just added the RSS feed of recent updates/reviews from my friends on goodreads.com to my Google Reader. Which is already excessive. And the fact that Casey manages to review like 438492 books a day, with COMMENTS, and GOOD MEMORIES of them, does not help this situation. Not to mention every time I sign in there I feel panicked about all the great books I will never have time to read. How do you do it, Case?

I will say, for the record though, that Mom is a good reads stud. She writes good comments. I feel very related to her on there. (I mean, obviously I am, but sometimes it's magnified a bit more.) The fact that it's her and me and Casey on there going nutso for online book reviews-in-brief makes so much sense it kills me.

Also, I bought five more books yesterday with a gift certificate I had left from my birthday last fall. I don't know why I felt compelled to use it all now. I have like 80 books to read as it is. The scary thing is, most of those are sitting in my room right now. I don't have enough space for anything and I'm starting to develop stacks. Ack! English major nerd!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have resolved not to use the "to read" feature; there would be no end to it! Controlled obsessiveness.
Thanks for inviting me--Mom.

Emily said...

i use to read if i have the book in my possession. only then.

Casey said...

I feel the "to read" feature is a little like cheating. I don't think you should get credit for books you sort of plan to read. That's like putting "cure cancer" on your "Things to do Before I'm Thirty" list.

I enjoy your mom's comments. She's funny and teacherly.

And I have tried to curb my reviews, because I couldn't feel my hands.

AND, I have been not reading very much lately and this has sort of put a fire under me. Good.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a funny, teacherly stud! Never been that before.

For a few years recently I had been furtively keeping a list of my reading. Then I misplaced the booklet where I was keeping my notes. Now with GoodReads I can resume my small (but clearly not-uncommon) compulsion.

Emily said...

i don't think to-read is cheating. it's just a catalog of books i have in my library. i don't claim to have read any of them.