Thursday, February 28, 2008

Then we came to the end

I don't think anyone reading this has read "Then we came to the end" but it's a really fantastic book. The website has been revamped for the paperback release and has a map of all the cubicles in the office, which, while I can't check my book to make sure all the offices are in the right place, is pretty cool for visualizing. I always imagined the offices as being kind of closed off -- one or two of them down almost a dark alley. I suppose that's unrealistic for an ad agency, but I couldn't help it.

This book was also the first example of something that I read and found depressing, and my friend Peattie read and found hilarious and not really depressing at all. (The same thing happened with "The Savages.") I think I have a pretty good sense for black humor, except sometimes I see the black humor and just don't laugh at it. In fact, frequently.

Also, "Then we came to the end" is strikingly similar to Daniel Orozco's short story "Orientation." I don't think it's a ripoff, but it's similar. You can read "Orientation" here -- it's highly recommended.

(via)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you assume too quickly...i read it last year! and yes, it is great.