Monday, February 04, 2008

Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters

I just finished reading "Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters." It was different from what I expected. I don't really know what I expected -- I guess I just didn't expect it to be about me. But it was. It wasn't just about girls with eating disorders. It was about how women in our generation spend huge portions of their days worrying about what they eat, when they could be putting time and energy into more important things that matter to them more. It was about how even if we don't binge or purge, or starve ourselves, or overexercise, we are running around in our heads feeling guilty or angry at ourselves. It was about how we feel the need to be perfect, effortlessly, and that includes our bodies but it includes much more than that. It was about how we feel pressure to do everything all the time.

I typed up a few excerpts and I'll be sharing them over the next few days. In the meantime let me just say this is highly recommended, especially if you are a twenty-something who has ever felt in over her head and not wanted to admit it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just ordered this and am so excited to read it. Thanks Ems.