Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I haven't read Cold Mountain or Thirteen Moons (I don't really have that much interest, to be honest, and this is coming from someone who used to love historical fiction). But I have this kind of pleasant feeling about this article that trashes the latter book for being "yokely dokely." Mostly, I think it's because I heard from Charles Frazier's former editor about how she's no longer his editor - and why - during the Columbia Publishing Course, and that primed me well to receive any criticism of his genius.

Maybe it's also because my friend Sarah and I saw the movie of Cold Mountain and she was angry there were no black people in it, despite it being a movie about the Civil War - and maybe that's more than a little related to the excerpt in the article about how slavery was "uninteresting."

I supposed to be fair to old Chuck I should read Cold Mountain at least. Maybe after I've read the other 911 books I need to read before I die...

No comments: