Monday, August 07, 2006

Thoughts

I'm going to try to keep this a little more... tactile. Like a real way of keeping track of what I'm thinking about or paying attention to. Right now, for example, I'm obsessed with Coconut and Lime. We (by we I mean, collectively, Kelly, Sean and I in various permutations) have made three of the recipes. I made spicy cheddar crackers, Sean and I made mini cheesecakes, and Kelly and I made egg creams (they taste better than they sound).

Besides that, I'm reading Heartburn by Nora Ephron. I picked up when I was in the exact right mood for it and I can tell I'll love it forever as a result. Funnily enough, I only got it because Sara Nelson, the editor-in-chief of Publishers Weekly, wrote about it in her book and lauded it as a book belonging to a "moment" in her life. Never mind that many of my favorite authors (Rushie, Kundera) are explicitly disliked by Sara Nelson (who spoke to us at the Columbia Publishing Course and who I'm obsessed with as a result), Heartburn is now part of a moment in my life too - yesterday. When I went to the library, got it out, read 20 pages sitting in front of my computer, walked to Starbucks, bought an iced tea and finished the whole first half sitting out in the sun with El Camino traffic rushing by. Not glamorous, but reading usually isn't (at least not as much as I would like).

I'm waiting anxiously for my box of books & mags to come from New York... It was supposed to be here last Friday, but it still isn't here. I'm getting worried... that's a shitload of books I spent money on, plus $20 in shipping, plus all my magazines from the month of August that I really want back (like RealSimple! InStyle Weddings! Saveur! Gourmet! I am a freak for home magazines and sparkly pictures of wedding rings!). Cross your fingers for me...

Does anyone have any good suggestions for cheap and fun things to do in the Bay Area that I would like?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for cheap and fun things to do in the bay area: i have about 3623623 california guidebooks checked out from the library. that is really why i checked them out, although i have yet to really look at them...surprise, surprise.
--kelly