Monday, August 21, 2006

Slacker, quote

Yes! I am a slacker!

I have been pretty busy, that's why. I have an excuse.

Anyway to make up for it, I have a quote from Nora Ephron's Heartburn, which I have been hanging onto for so long (like 2 weeks) that I forgot why I tagged it, but I still kind of like it even though I only half agree (a disastrous attempt at making pad thai last Friday makes me a little uncertain about cooking at the moment).

Anyway, to the point...

To say that cooking is creative not only misses the point of creativity--which is that it is painful and difficult and quite unrelated to whether it is possible to come up wtih yet another way to cook a pork chop--but also misses the whole point of cooking, which is that it is totally mindless. What I love about cooking is that after a hard day, there is something comfroting about the fact that is you melt butter and add flour and then hot stock, it will get thick! It's a sure thing! It's a sure thing in a world where nothing is sure; it has a mathematical certainty in a world where those of us who long for some kind of certainty are forced to settle for crossword puzzles.

I think I really liked the line about the crossword puzzles since I have once again become hooked on them. Anyway that is my lame post for today and I will post more tomorrow.

(The real reason I have slacked off here is that I usually blog during work and haven't had the time at work in the last week. So my slacking is a result of my dedication. That should get me somewhere.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

two things
first, i am also a huge fan of crossword puzzles, and do like, 4-8 a day! i know!
second, your dedication will get you nowhere. it's other things that count. i'll let you know when i've figured them out
orges