Friday, September 08, 2006

The right man for the Gob

First of all, read the article Christopher Hitchens wrote in Vanity Fair about how the blow job is the most American sex act. Not because he really makes a point (I'm not sure he does), but because you'll learn so much history! It was a really interesting article. Anyway, moving to my real subject, which is stupid articles about oral sex, this article is dumb. I think the reason why more kids are doing oral sex isn't because they know about real risks, but rather because they know about oral sex. I guarantee you that when I was 12 I had no idea what a blowjob was, but probably 98% of 12 year olds know about them now (and I don't want to speculate on how many of them have done it). Maybe it has an added benefit of delaying actual intercourse for teens who otherwise would be screwing like rabbits. But I seriously doubt that your average teen is choosing one over the other because of disincentives like AIDS. (Disclaimer, aka admission of ignorance: I really tend to not like economic explanations for everyday things. Funny, given that economic incentives are probably related to psychological actions, kind of like game theory or whatever. Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about but there are some vague connections in my head right now.)

I feel like I'm treading on dangerously prudish territory by saying that because kids have more knowledge of certain sexual acts that they are more likely to do them (what would Dawn Eden say?). No abstinence-only sex ed for me, thank you.

(It occurs to me that pretty much my only readers here are my relatives. That's a little awkward. It's ok, if Caryl reads this and comments I'm sure she'll just take it to a new level.)

(P.S. Title stolen from an Arrested Development episode. I finally got on the AD bus and I'm loving it. Annyong.)

Edit: Also, the stats in that story are wrong. Ok, so I don't research, but I was right in saying that the article was kind of stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm not a relative. or at least not that I know of. I Just don't comment on blogs much.

Anonymous said...

dude, welcome to the AD club. it's the best club there is. anyong!
orges